UK park operators and its suppliers have faced significant challenges during 2020/21. The impact of Covid-19 has left many parks struggling which will continue to resonate within the park home industry with years to come. However, whilst business had been forced to shut March and July 2020, and then again in our third lockdown continuing into 2021, things ARE beginning to reach ‘normality’. And with that comes some great news!
Research suggests that the UK ‘staycation’ market is experiencing a boom following the end of the first lockdown, with a similar surge continuing into 2021. A survey suggested that 73% of Brits are likely to travel within UK after coronavirus (YouGov). With only 1 in 3 looking to venture off abroad, UK holidays will be in high demand for the years ahead. With the public remaining cautious of the lingering pandemic in our memories, many are looking to escape from the boredom of lockdown and get away for a change to recharge and reset after what has been a stressful and unpredictable year for many.
It is also clear that UK staycations are not just a temporary fix. Great British staycations are already selling out for summer 2021 and beyond, with many Brits preparing for lots of staycation seasons. With 83% of individuals in the UK preferring to have a UK staycation than travel abroad due to health concerns and fears of being stranded abroad, the pent-up demand of UK holidays continues to grow.
According to Statista, the term ‘UK holidays’ was in the top 5 most searched terms in the UK in July 2020 and this number is only growing. Research also suggests that Brits are looking for cheap and affordable alternatives to a holiday and are aiming to spend less than pre-pandemic.
Regarding what holiday makers are looking for when searching the market, cleanliness appears to be on the top of the list of considerations. Other considerations include:
- Location (most Brits are looking for travel that is stress free and straight-forwards).
- Flexible & Affordable booking (many travellers are looking for various payment plans, options for free cancelation and staycations that do not blow their wallets).
- Great reviews (now more than ever people are relying on word of mouth through the internet when it comes to decision making for their staycation – make sure you have accessible reviews on your site to ensure that people can rely on your park).
Key trends to take into consideration for your park:
- Staycations: The rise in popularity of off-grid, secluded and natural scenery holidays has generated a market shift in favour of park homes, lodging and camping with craving the experience of a relaxing getaway.
- Domestic over international holidays: Many Brits have set their sights to a ‘home away from home’ feeling during the Great British summer for 2021. With the unreliability of abroad-travel news, uncertainty of quarantine requirements internationally and fear of cancelled holidays, UK has witnessed a surge in demand for various holiday destinations within the UK.
- Importance of flexibility and strong cancellation policies: The general public have been through a lot, with many losing money on their cancelled holidays due to the pandemic. Thus, booking ahead during uncertain times can be a daunting thought for many. Provide your customers with confidence to book due to holding safety-nets for cancellations due to unforeseen factors.
- Last minute holidays: With restrictions continuously fluctuating, more and more Brits are settling for last minute holidays. So, in other to seize the moment, instant booking and fast response rate on enquiries is crucial to the park home industry.